Tuesday, October 10, 2006

no news is good news

no, this is not about how I haven't blogged for ages. It's actually about the news. or what passes for it in our society.

I've decided to stop watching/reading/following it, as a decidedly and intentionally nonviolent act.

See it occurred to me while reading The Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet that all the news does is put you in touch with, in the vast majority of cases, violent or otherwise negative events that are way outside your control. This creates in me a kind of negativity towards the world, which is manifested in a lack of trust, a pessimism, and a sense of overwhelmedness at the task we have ahead of us in building the Kingdom of God. The news is formative in that it forms our opinion of what the world is like - and the picture it presents is not real positive. And so it forms us in the same way.

Is this just withdrawal from the world then? Possibly. I like to think of it as an investment in the real world. Not watching the tv news leaves me more time and energy to invest locally - the only sphere of influence I really have anyway. What am I really losing here? Nearly as I can tell, it's nothing that's not worth losing.

No comments: