Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Christmas 2007

This year my family decided to make Christmas presents instead of buying them. I think maybe it's one of the best ideas we've ever had. It meant that everyone had to think harder, both about what you're going to give and about the person you're giving it to. It meant you also had to put a lot of time and effort in instead of money, and a lot of yourself at the same time.

We did it Kris Kringle style, so each person had one person to make something for. I got my brother, and made him a wine rack. Admittedly I had some technical help from Chelsea (and the dog toy she plays with in the bath), but mostly did it myself.

And Jane got me. She made me this amazing painting, which is now hanging up in pride of place in our kitchen.

1 comment:

alicia.suarez said...

that's truly amazing Simon. I like the thought. This year I actually made some of my presents, and when the various people opened them, I think I'm the one that almost cried. It's much more meaningful when you put your heart and soul into it.

And Chelsmoyle looks like quite the carpenter.